Starter switch assembly

Electrical, charging system, batteries, etc.
Winches, jacks, tow gear, welders, lights, etc.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

Knightpilot
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Starter switch assembly

Post by Knightpilot » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:12 pm

I've removed my dash (as part of a rebuild) and have all the electrical wire exposed. I was able to remove the ignition switch by placing a small wire in the hole and turning the key to "ACC". Now I need to start the bronco and drive it to the paint shop except that I can't get the ignition key system put back together. Can someone tell me how to rebuild the switch assembly (4 pieces total -switch with wires attached, metal cap, bezel, and keyed cylinder) and also, does it have to be grounded to work or can I just start it while holding it in my hand? This is very typical of me in that I can take this thing apart but putting it back together is another story. Thanks for your input.
76 Bronco, 302, Auto Complete Rebuild

Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Viperwolf1 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:45 pm

It's been a while since I had one apart but I think there's a spring in there too. From the front: Switch, spring, cap, dash panel, bezel, cylinder. As I recall you need to compress the spring to get the bezel on and turned, all while standing on your head. The switch doesn't need to be grounded to start the engine but it does to for the brake light test circuit to work.
Phil

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com

Knightpilot
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by Knightpilot » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks for the reply viperwolf. I should have been more precise. I can't get the keyed cylinder to go back into the switch. Is there some reverse order with the hole and the "ACC" position? I can get the cap and bezel back on but the cylinder/key just won't go in!
76 Bronco, 302, Auto Complete Rebuild

Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Viperwolf1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:06 am

It's pretty much the reverse of what you did to get it out. Make sure the slot at the switch is full ccw.
Phil

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 pm

A lot ot times the cylinder's parts spin a little bit when you have it apart, which makes it not fit back in. Usually all you have to do is look down inside the switch to verify where the grooves are, and spin a piece or two on the cylinder so that all of them line up when you put it back in. And it's probably just a bit past ACC in this case, so don't try to line it up with the ACC mark on the bezel.
Good luck. It's probably just a bit of twiddling and tweaking you need to get 'er back in.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

TCheney
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by TCheney » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:00 pm

DirtDonk wrote:A lot ot times the cylinder's parts spin a little bit when you have it apart, which makes it not fit back in. Usually all you have to do is look down inside the switch to verify where the grooves are, and spin a piece or two on the cylinder so that all of them line up when you put it back in. And it's probably just a bit past ACC in this case, so don't try to line it up with the ACC mark on the bezel.
Good luck. It's probably just a bit of twiddling and tweaking you need to get 'er back in.

Paul
That's been my experience as well. Good luck!

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Formerjughead » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:21 pm

Be sure and disconnect the battery when youare monkying with it. I was on the phone with a friend, whose name rhymes with Dom Tummer, when I was taking mine apart. Anyway during his example he managed to start his bronco and not be able to shut it off.
"Life sucks, wear a helmet"
Remember: While resorting to violence is never the answer, starting off with violence almost always is.