Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Bronco Graveyard   Wild Horses   Tom's Bronco Parts     

Home   Forum   Gallery   Mailing List   User Albums   eBay   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
3 point seat belt system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bodywork, Paint, Cages, Specs, OEM, Dash
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rugbybronco
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: 3 point seat belt system Reply with quote

Has any one put in a shoulder and lap seat belt restraint system in their rig with out installing a roll bar? Any ideas about a replacement for the back seat to make it kid friendly/safe? my kids are 4 adn 6 years old.

Thanks,
Scodge
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot rod guys used to use seats from a Chrysler Sebring (I think it was a Sebring, something like that), because the seat belt was integrated into the seat itself. I can't imagine your wife would let her 4 and 6 year olds ride in a Bronco without a roll cage, much less a roll bar, though.
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vendors sell a 3 point harness for the front. Bolts to the HARD TOP just behind the door. Obviously no good if you take the hard top off.
Not sure what guys do about the rear seat, I always used the stock seat and seat belts. { with a family cage}
Stan
And like Scodge said : A "famliy" cage is one of the safest AND there is NO WAY i'd drive an EB with the hard top removed without a roll bar or cage

Scodge
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,

I think you're putting too much faith in the hard top. It has no triangulation and it isn't welded to the body, only held on with a few bolts. Not to mention the windshield it's bolted too has a giant hinge at the bottom. I'd only depend on the Hard top to protect me from raindrops and bird crap.

dan's73
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a friend with a '68 and he'll never take the hard top off, and for good reason. His wife & kids were involved in a rollover on the Bronco several years ago, went over at least 3 times down the side of a washed out mountain road on the way down from their cabin. They all had the stock seatbelts on (2 in front, one 6 yr old in the back seat) in a stock '68 hard top wagon. He was behind them in his truck and saw the whole thing. It was relatively "low speed", but the windshield did break, the top tweaked abit, but as a whole the damage to EB and his family was relatively minimal: everyone walked away and, with a few new body panels, he still drives the EB. A cage at that point may have added a feeiling of security, but neither he nor I see how it would've made much difference in that situation.

That being said, 3 point belts are much better for everyone than lapbelts. Without a roll bar/cage, you can mount them to the hard top and feel reasonably secure. I've seen the seats with the integral seatbelts as mentioned and that may be a good alternative, provided the seats are securely mounted to a solid tub &/or tied to the frame. For the back seat & a kid's seat, I'm looking to have a family cage modified so that it has the proper latch points for my 18 mo old son's seat. When it comes to kids you can't go too far to make sure they're safe IMO.

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 point belts in the front is pretty much a no-brainer EXCEPT, my wife has the factory ones in her (I will not say what make) vehicle, and when she wheels the big stuff, the seatbelt cinches so tight she can hardly move and if she needed to get out, she would be unable to unlatch the buckle untill she made it to level ground. I don't know what application these 3 point belts are coming from but I would ask about that aspect from anyone who has these belts and wheels (that is if you do).
I am not trying to talk you out of changing from factory, SAFETY is first. I am just giving my two cents. My wife has ordered 4 point harnesses. They have not arrived yet so they are not installed. I am waiting to see how the kids are gunna get into the back seat.
I think a family cage with 3 points in the rear and 4 points in the front would be the way to go if one could figure out a way t get the the back seat easily.
Shawn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Bodywork, Paint, Cages, Specs, OEM, Dash All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: