Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Bronco Graveyard   Wild Horses   Tom's Bronco Parts     

Home   Forum   Gallery   Mailing List   User Albums   eBay   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Another power brake conversion ????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powersjh
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Another power brake conversion ???? Reply with quote

I just bought my first early bronco. I have a 72 with drums front and rear. I would like to eventually do power disc, but for now can't afford it. I was wondering what it would take to just do power drums. Can I just buy a booster from a 77 bronco?? Would buying a booster and new master for power drums be a dumb idea if I planned to do a disc conversion in the future??

Whats the cheapest and best way to do power brakes? or even power disc?
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not dumb at all. Most of us end up doing the disc thing first, then the power second. But that's not the only way. Plenty of people have started with the booster setup.
Just FYI, you can use discs without power and still be amazed at how a good brake system is. I'm just running manual discs myself and love 'em. I've heard tell too though, that adding a booster really wakes up a set of drums. The issue here I think is whether or not your current drum setup is in good shape or not. If it's borderline, you're just putting a Band-Aid over a compound fracture and hoping an infection doesn't set in.
The drums work acceptably well (funny sounding, coming from me) when tuned to within an inch of their lives. But fade quickly under load and don't work worth diddly when they're not adjusted or maintained properly.

So basically, think about which way you want to go first. The money is about the same, probably, with perhaps more being spent on the booster than a whole disc setup. You're pretty much limited to a kit from one of the vendors unless you're real lucky and find an Early Bronco in the boneyard. If you get lucky. Discs on the other hand can be had from either Ford or Chevy donors and the new parts you'd want (master cylinder, seals and maybe calipers), are relatively inexpensive.

Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure you'll get some others chiming in with their outlook on it.

Oh, and welcome to broncofix! Good to have you aboard. There are bound to be plenty of questions, so ask away.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Viperwolf1
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do the manual front disks before assisting drums. The drum setup needs to be in perfect condition or it will make the problems more apparent. If you have a slight pull to one side now it's going to be worse or easier to identify with the assist. I have manual front disks also and they are easy to stop and don't pull or fade.

'74 Sport, '89 5.0 HO SEFI, C4, 33's, 4.10 gears, and a few Hickey parts

www.alpineclassicbroncos.com
dvnfly
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to put on the power conversion set from James Duff because my master cylinder was shot ( allmost killed me kind of shot) and the will stop the drums with no problem, I do plan on putting on front disc eventually and will have to change the proportion valve when I do that. The kit went right on with no adjustments at all. the only thing I wish i would have done was paint the master cylinder first, it's rusting now so more work ahead for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Steering, Brakes, Wheels and Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: