Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Bronco Graveyard   Wild Horses   Tom's Bronco Parts     

Home   Forum   Gallery   Mailing List   User Albums   eBay   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
!970 Bronco towing capacity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELI
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: !970 Bronco towing capacity Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Bronco, 302, manual 3 speed...can I tow a pop up with the right hitch...1,500 lb pop-up?
Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is do able, does your trailer have brakes? If so wire your Bronco with a brake modual, it will make a huge difference in your tow ability. Cool
ELI
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the towing capacity, with or without trailer brakes, and what is the best hitch for this vehicle?
Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the specific number but it is pretty low and I think your trailer is right at the limit. Maybe some of the stock speck gurus like Phil, Scott, or Paul can chime in the exact number you are looking for? I myself wouldn't push much more especially if you don't have trailer brakes Confused
SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have the 'spec', but mine does fine. Thats about what my trailer weighs and I dont have trailer brakes or power brakes, it stops pretty good.

Shawn.

360.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.14 KB
 Viewed:  174 Time(s)

360.JPG

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel comfortable with towing my little travel trailer ; it runs about #2000 loaded . There's a little more boppin and weavin on winding mountain roads than the freeway ; but still not into the puckerup factor. Smile
I've got a class III , #5000 reciever hitch from TBPs. , disc brakes on the front and electric brakes on the trailer .
You can certainly tow more than that with a Bronco - but - everyone has a different " comfort level " . Smile
Fords' Manual says if ya got #4900 gvw,power steering,frame mounted trailer hitch and at least G78-15D tires Smile -- you can tow a trailer up to #2000 with #200 tongue weight , and with less than 25 sq ft of frontal area ; but not to exceed 7000# Gross combined weight rating - weight of passengers and cargo and trailer combined.
Stan

TonyNokes
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops I have exceeded that a wee bit... err may over double.... My boat/trailer weighs in about 4000lbs loaded. It does pretty welll actually. It does have trailer brakes and tandem axles. I also have Lincoln disk brakes all the way around upgraded axles and a Tom's frame mounted hitch. It does fine, but certianly not as comfortable as twoing with out Excursion.

Tony

66' SC5.8L SEFI, 4R70W, 4.88, 35"BFG's. Hydroboost, D44 w/trac-lock, HD axles. 9" w/ARB, Dutchman axles, Trusses and Licoln disks all around, F150 PS, factory PTO winch & bumper, 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body, 14" 7100's Bilstiens, CAGE arms & springs, TRO, OBA, Yorkston Trackbar conversion, 3 fuel tanks...
DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember if we've ever come up with a solid number when it comes to "officially rated" towing capacity, but I've been using 1500 lbs as a recommended max. With good bearings and brakes.
Maybe with all the old sales flyers people are coming up with, or the old ads in magazines, we can find a number that Ford was using back then. If there is one.

Your brakes are your friend. If you plan to tow often, that's enough justification right there for front disc brakes, if you haven't already got them.
While with that trailer, you are probably near the proper limit, the nice thing about pop-ups is that they tow so nicely, even an EB can do it! Even with the heavier ones. And as we've seen, lots of owners have successfully towed even more than that.
Friend even towed a 25' Toy Hauler down to Hollister Hills SRVA once! Now THAT was one interesting trip, to say the least. Wouldn't recommend it.
One of those "Kids, don't try this at home." kind of things.

Very few EB-specific trailer hitches around. The heaviest seem to be the ones integrated into the heavy-duty bumpers. That doesn't mean you can tow more though. It only means your hitch won't be the weak link.

One thing I always try to mention too, when someone's towing though (no matter how little) is to check or replace your rear wheel bearings. They last a long time, but always seem to fail when the back of the Bronco is loaded down with gear, and/or you're towing something.
So if your bearings are old, or of unknown age but over 100k miles on the truck, just replace them as part of your maintenance and cheap-insurance schedule.
Especially if you're running with a small-bearing axle.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan wrote:

Fords' Manual says if ya got #4900 gvw,power steering,frame mounted trailer hitch and at least G78-15D tires Smile -- you can tow a trailer up to #2000 with #200 tongue weight , and with less than 25 sq ft of frontal area ; but not to exceed 7000# Gross combined weight rating - weight of passengers and cargo and trailer combined.
Stan
This is a paraphrase of what my '76 Ford manual says. Smile
I saw a guy towing a small tracted hoe/ on trailer with an EB last summer Shocked -i was hoping he was just moving it a few blocks to a different project - but ya never know. Rolling Eyes Smile
Stan

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Stan. Thanks
In all these years, I've never seen an EB Owners Manual up close. Would be a good read for sure.

Paul

Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: