!970 Bronco towing capacity

Engine, transmission, transfer case, axles.<br />
Suspension, coils, leafs, mods, upgrades.

Moderator: Bfix Staff Members

ELI
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

!970 Bronco towing capacity

Post by ELI » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 am

I have a 1970 Bronco, 302, manual 3 speed...can I tow a pop up with the right hitch...1,500 lb pop-up?

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:21 pm

It is do able, does your trailer have brakes? If so wire your Bronco with a brake modual, it will make a huge difference in your tow ability. 8)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

ELI
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

Post by ELI » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 pm

What is the towing capacity, with or without trailer brakes, and what is the best hitch for this vehicle?

Brandon
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded
Location: USA, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, New Zealand, & Sandy Oregon

Post by Brandon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm

I don't know the specific number but it is pretty low and I think your trailer is right at the limit. Maybe some of the stock speck gurus like Phil, Scott, or Paul can chime in the exact number you are looking for? I myself wouldn't push much more especially if you don't have trailer brakes :?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by SHAWN » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 pm

I dont have the 'spec', but mine does fine. Thats about what my trailer weighs and I dont have trailer brakes or power brakes, it stops pretty good.

Shawn.
Attachments
360.JPG
...behind every blade of grass...
..."Shall not be infringed"

E= hammer and stick.

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:18 am

I feel comfortable with towing my little travel trailer ; it runs about #2000 loaded . There's a little more boppin and weavin on winding mountain roads than the freeway ; but still not into the puckerup factor. :)
I've got a class III , #5000 reciever hitch from TBPs. , disc brakes on the front and electric brakes on the trailer .
You can certainly tow more than that with a Bronco - but - everyone has a different " comfort level " . :)
Fords' Manual says if ya got #4900 gvw,power steering,frame mounted trailer hitch and at least G78-15D tires :) -- you can tow a trailer up to #2000 with #200 tongue weight , and with less than 25 sq ft of frontal area ; but not to exceed 7000# Gross combined weight rating - weight of passengers and cargo and trailer combined.
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

TonyNokes
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by TonyNokes » Wed May 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Oops I have exceeded that a wee bit... err may over double.... My boat/trailer weighs in about 4000lbs loaded. It does pretty welll actually. It does have trailer brakes and tandem axles. I also have Lincoln disk brakes all the way around upgraded axles and a Tom's frame mounted hitch. It does fine, but certianly not as comfortable as twoing with out Excursion.

Tony
66' 5.8L SEFI Super Charged, 4R70W, 4.88, 35" BFG's. Hydroboost, D44 w/trac-lock, HD axles. 9" w/ARB, Dutchman axles, Trusses and Lincoln disks all around, F150 PS, factory PTO winch & bumper, 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body, 14" 7100's Bilstiens, CAGE arms & springs, TRO, OBA, Yorkston Trackbar conversion, 3 fuel tanks...

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 pm

I don't remember if we've ever come up with a solid number when it comes to "officially rated" towing capacity, but I've been using 1500 lbs as a recommended max. With good bearings and brakes.
Maybe with all the old sales flyers people are coming up with, or the old ads in magazines, we can find a number that Ford was using back then. If there is one.

Your brakes are your friend. If you plan to tow often, that's enough justification right there for front disc brakes, if you haven't already got them.
While with that trailer, you are probably near the proper limit, the nice thing about pop-ups is that they tow so nicely, even an EB can do it! Even with the heavier ones. And as we've seen, lots of owners have successfully towed even more than that.
Friend even towed a 25' Toy Hauler down to Hollister Hills SRVA once! Now THAT was one interesting trip, to say the least. Wouldn't recommend it.
One of those "Kids, don't try this at home." kind of things.

Very few EB-specific trailer hitches around. The heaviest seem to be the ones integrated into the heavy-duty bumpers. That doesn't mean you can tow more though. It only means your hitch won't be the weak link.

One thing I always try to mention too, when someone's towing though (no matter how little) is to check or replace your rear wheel bearings. They last a long time, but always seem to fail when the back of the Bronco is loaded down with gear, and/or you're towing something.
So if your bearings are old, or of unknown age but over 100k miles on the truck, just replace them as part of your maintenance and cheap-insurance schedule.
Especially if you're running with a small-bearing axle.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen:

Stan
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by Stan » Fri May 04, 2012 6:08 am

Stan wrote: Fords' Manual says if ya got #4900 gvw,power steering,frame mounted trailer hitch and at least G78-15D tires :) -- you can tow a trailer up to #2000 with #200 tongue weight , and with less than 25 sq ft of frontal area ; but not to exceed 7000# Gross combined weight rating - weight of passengers and cargo and trailer combined.
Stan
This is a paraphrase of what my '76 Ford manual says. :)
I saw a guy towing a small tracted hoe/ on trailer with an EB last summer 8O -i was hoping he was just moving it a few blocks to a different project - but ya never know. :roll: :)
Stan
When you come to a fork in the road - take it
Homer - " Facts are meaningless . You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

DirtDonk
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

Post by DirtDonk » Sun May 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Good info Stan. Thanks
In all these years, I've never seen an EB Owners Manual up close. Would be a good read for sure.

Paul
'71 Bronco - 302 4v
3.5" WH/Skyjacker Lift
33 x 11.50 x15 Thornbirds on 15x7 Enkei's
Kayline soft top
Hanson bumpers
Dual batteries, Large 1G alt.

WWW.WILDHORSES4X4.COM :mrgreen: