Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Bronco Graveyard   Wild Horses   Tom's Bronco Parts     

Home   Forum   Gallery   Mailing List   User Albums   eBay   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
Oil Dipstick Tube Leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FirstSergeant
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Oil Dipstick Tube Leaking Reply with quote

I've developed a heck of an oil leak and it appears to be coming from where the oil dipstick tube inserts into the oil pan. There appears to be a bolt that holds it in and I tried to tighten it down to stop the leak. NO LUCK! I called a local mechanic and he seemed to think there should not be a bolt attaching the dipstick to the oil pan. Instead he says it just presses into the pan and self seals. Is this guy right? If not, does anyone have a remedy for this leak? Thanks!
Sandman
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem. The dipstick tube goes directly into the side of the pan on the pass side. I will be watching what others post for advice. I have tried permatexing everything but the oil still leaks. the pass. side of the undercarriage is coated in the slimy stuff. Any help out there??
teknalee
Bfix "What's a Bronco?"
Bfix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos used two different types of dipsticks.. maybe you have the wrong one?
FirstSergeant
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone recommended puttin teflon tape around the threads to try to get it to stop. I'm going to try that and see what happens. I'll let you know how it works, but for now if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be open to them.
BwoncoHowie
BFix Built
BFix Built

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a rear-sump 69 302 that I have. Keep in mind that the 69 design has no bolt retaining the tube except the bracket bolt that threads into the right side exhaust manifild.
I think there is supposed to be an O-Ring seal at the location where the tube joins the pan but I havent been able to locate the correct seal. Here is what I did to temporarily fix mine. I expect this patch to hold until I am ready to rebuild the engine.

1) Drain the oil first then re-install the drain plug.
2) Thoroughly clean the oil pan in the area surrounding the tube insertion point using Brakleen & compressed air.
3) Pull out the tube and thoroughly clean the sealing surface of any dirt and oil residue.
4) Put a shop towel over the tip of a small phillips screwdriver and saturate that portion of the towel with brakleen. Then use it to clean the bore in the pan. Repeat as often as necessary till the rag comes out clean and oil free.
5) Spread a film of RTV silicone around the outside of the lower portion of the dipstick tube and install, then tighten the bracket bolt and let sit for 2 hours before refilling the crankcase.

BH

abn373
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the teflon tape method for my '73 which also has the bolt on the pan. It worked fairly well. A little drop will blead through once in awhile. I am going to redo it next oil change.
desertjunky
BFix Starter
BFix Starter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: oil pan Reply with quote

I have had the same problem and I took the oil pan and welded the tube guide to the oil pan and will use silicon as a seal around the dipstick tube and will see if that cures the problem what I found when took it all apart that the part that is on the pan itself is a two piece and has a gasket between and I believe that is where the leak originates and when you see the oil it looks like it is coming out the tube where it goes in the pan I will post the finished product I think that that is the cure for that nasty leak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: