Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Bronco Graveyard   Wild Horses   Tom's Bronco Parts     

Home   Forum   Gallery   Mailing List   User Albums   eBay   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
AT Kickdown question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: AT Kickdown question Reply with quote

My Bronco has a 69 302 in it with the manual choke 2 bbl which I will likely keep on there for the resto. I am putting a C4 behind it and have the kickdown rod that goes to the tranny but I don't have the mechanism that attaches it to the carb. Does anyone know what I need here?
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? If someone has this setup would you mind taking a picture of where the kickdown rod attaches to the carb and posting on here? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Bandit
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: A/T kickdown Reply with quote

Turbo,Im gonna check to see if I have my two barrel in the garage still,if I do Ill send it to you.I have ordered on several occations,a Holley,and Edelbrock kickdown assembly.I know Jegs and Summit both have bunches of them,very common part,and I ordered another one when I put that truck avenger in recently,Im tryiing to remember if I gave the two barrell away.....I think I still have it,and it should have a factory assembly that came stock with my '73,c-4.Wouldnt you rather have new parts ?Im sick of 33 year old parts,
BANDIT

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bandit, I appreciate that. I wasn't aware that some of those other brands of kickdown linkage would work. I have never seen the original setup so I guess I wouldn't know it if I saw it anyway! If you find yours and want to mail it out, I would be happy to pay for the shipping.
Bandit
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Give me a day or two Reply with quote

Turbo,give me a day or two,I'm behind on everything, I injured myself real bad,and had to go to the doc ,my back is messed up,if I was a horse Id've been headshot already,unless I was in Cal,Juggy would have pastured me and kept me in agony.Im limping around,I havent even taken my new Currie rear out of the crate.After all that I hope I still have it,if not Ill have to send you that spare Edelbrock 600, in embarassment. fedup BANDIT...if you want to E-mail or call..no problem
patches@wyoming.com

SHAWN
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bandit, i'll give you $50 for the Currie AND pay for shipping to help pay for doctor bills and all.

Last edited by SHAWN on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me a day or two Reply with quote

Bandit wrote:
Turbo,give me a day or two,I'm behind on everything, I injured myself real bad,and had to go to the doc ,my back is messed up,if I was a horse Id've been headshot already,unless I was in Cal,Juggy would have pastured me and kept me in agony......

I can make heckling house calls..lol
screwed up backs are no good man

Brad

sweetj
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, I would give you a hundred plus shipping to help you out.
Ford 9" 4.56 detroit locker rear
fullsize front Bronco seats
6 point rollcage
sat. radio
system 9 wild horse 3.5" lift
3" body lift
35" BFG mudders
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob Bandit, I am in no hurry at all. Sorry to hear about your back.
Bandit
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Cant find that damn stock carb! Reply with quote

I wish I hadnt mentioned that carb now,Ive been crawlin around the garage tring to find it ,no luck.It must be under a ton of old Bronco junk.Im agonied out so Im trying to get the ol lady to find it now.Have you checked Summit theres bookoo ford Kickdown assemblies in there and Jegs,I think the last one I ordered was six or seven bucks..you want me to send you that Edelbrock 600,and in the future you can send me something of simular value?Nope wife just came back up ,couldnt find it ,sorry,I give too many things away,Im a sorry businessman,Must have given it to somebody,unless its hidden from my last move.
BANDIT red mad

Formerjughead
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be in pain to send your wife hunting for Bronco stuff. I can't even send my wife to the kitchen for a cup off coffee without her calling my cell 12 times..........lol

take it easy on your back

Brad

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, no problem at all I can pick one up at Summit or something. Thanks for the info and looking for it. Go relax that back man!! big thumb up
KManuel
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo tim,

I'm not really sure what part you looking for. A bracket on my manifold is suppose to be something of a kick down for an AT, so i was told. It sits on the drivers side just behind the carb. I have a 3 speed, if thats what you need, I'm not using it, its yours.

Kevin

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine has that bracket on it, its bolted to the manifold with two bolts? Mine has the throttle return spring hooked to it.

I am going to take a look at summit and see what they have, I certainly appreciate your offer and will get back to you. I got this C4 from a 77 parts truck but someone had already stripped the carb and intake off of it so I couldn't see how it was set up.
Bandit
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the c-4 models,there is a long bent rod that (at least on a '73)goes from the bottom of the c-4,all the way to the carb,theres a sliding bracket it fits in.So when your driving down the road,and step on it,it kicks it in passing gear.make sure you get it set up right ,its supposed to push toward the rear,towards the driver seat to engage,It is bad for your trans if you set it up to pull instead of push.BANDIT
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bandit, I have the shift rod. I am going to take a closer look at my carb to see what needs to be there to make this work. Thanks for all of your help!!
Bandit
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: carb? Reply with quote

I didnt do anything,I feel like I let you down telling you about that carb,and then not being able to locate it.If you want to use that little Edelbrock I will send it,but you'll need a 4-barrell manifold.I guess your staying with an all stock rebuild?
BANDIT

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't let me down! I am going to try to keep that part of it stock, if I can. With the price of gas these days, the 2bbl. is sounding better the more I think of it. I was getting 18 mpg with it and the 3 spd. which is not too bad! Also, I am not in a hurry for this either, the rebuild is just beginning so if something comes up give me a shout.
turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped a picture of what I am looking at as far as how my carb is set up. Don't know if this is what the rest of you guys have or not.

Carb Linkage Small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.18 KB
 Viewed:  3106 Time(s)

Carb Linkage Small.jpg

turbotim2
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well I have finally figured out what the part is that I am missing. My carb does not have the lever to attach the kickdown rod to. It only has the throttle lever. I was looking at the pic that meanjean has posted and noticed the difference. Also mine does not have the dashpot, is this going to cause problems with the AT? I know the dash pot sort of cushions the throttle return when you left off the gas so that it doesn't just close.
SaddleUp
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotim2 wrote:
OK, well I have finally figured out what the part is that I am missing. My carb does not have the lever to attach the kickdown rod to. It only has the throttle lever. I was looking at the pic that meanjean has posted and noticed the difference. Also mine does not have the dashpot, is this going to cause problems with the AT? I know the dash pot sort of cushions the throttle return when you left off the gas so that it doesn't just close.

Many of us have run the C4 for years without having any kickdown on the tranny. I.E. You should be fine to run without it if you can't get a setup that will work. When I had my C4 in mine it even still downshifted if I floored it. (From what I understand this is also effected by the modulator)

HotWheels
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the Lokar kickdown also....

.02$

hth,

Mick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: