Bronco Fix    
Bronco Fix    

Bronco Graveyard   Wild Horses   Tom's Bronco Parts     

Home   Forum   Gallery   Mailing List   User Albums   eBay   Tech   Glove Box   For Sale
C6 Transmission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puff Daddy
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: C6 Transmission Reply with quote

Anybody ever heard of a C6 transmission being put in an early bronco?

Uncut '73, stock 302 w/Headers, Holley TA Carb, Centech Harness, Wildhorses 3.5 inch lift.
SaddleUp
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run one in mine and so does my brother. Also a few others on another forum I know I running them. I think Chuck (BC Bronco's) is also running one in his racer. Most of us put the NP205 behind them since it can be done with all stock parts. It requires the long adapter for the back of the tranny which was most common in the 78/79 fullsize which usually had the 400M. (Meaning the case needs the adapter swapped to use the SBF C6 case with the 400M C6 adapter) This is done for driveline clearance so it doesn't hit the tranny and is only required if you just bolt the tranny to the NP205. If you add a NP203 doubler between them like I did then you want the short adapter that is most common behind the small block C6. Here is a link to a tech. article I did on mine. http://classicbroncos.com/c6_203_205_doubler.shtml Maybe you can find a few tidbits of usuable information there. If not you can just check out the cool video I put up at the end of the page.
Puff Daddy
Bfix Rockin
Bfix Rockin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like that may be a little more than I'm looking for. My C4 on my daily driver needs a rebuild. I found a NIB C6 for sale locally, for $800, and I was curious as to whether it would be more economic to just buy new and install, vice having it rebuilt. Looks like installing a C6 might just be overkill, as well as more expensive.

The video is very cool though. Thanks for the reply.

Tom

Uncut '73, stock 302 w/Headers, Holley TA Carb, Centech Harness, Wildhorses 3.5 inch lift.
Izzy3
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puff Daddy wrote:
I found a NIB C6 for sale locally, for $800

Tom

Puff,
Google TCI transmissions and you can get a stout C4 for $800-900 and it will be everything you want and more. I had my C4 rebuilt by a yokel for $700 and am still kicking myself as the front seal started leaking after 5k miles and the POS shifts spongy before it warms up.

I put a TCI behind a punched out, hopped up 455 and it handled all the power I could put to it.

When my C4 gives up again, I'll put a TCI in it.

highlander
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rebuild your C4 if you already have one. The TCI transmission are good but once you buy it you have to take it completly apart to put a bronco output shaft in. Also if you have someone local rebuild your transmission they wil warranty it. TCI's warranty is garbage and you will have to pull it out pay to ship it them and as soon as they see you changed th output shaft the warranty is void. A c6 will be stronger but for $800 you can build a stout c4.
Izzy3
BFix Locked and Loaded
BFix Locked and Loaded

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="highlander"] The TCI transmission are good but once you buy it you have to take it completly apart to put a bronco output shaft in. /quote]

That's good to know information about the output shaft. Why do you think their warranty is bad? The tranny I got from them was tough and I never had a problem.

highlander
Bfix Carb'd
Bfix Carb'd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few freinds who purchesed them one the tranny lasted 500 miles and had to be send it back after all the extra shipping and hassle of pulling and reinstalling he had a huge investment in it and it took TCI 4 weeks to get the tranny back to him. The other had troubles soon after and sent it to TCI who refused to warranty it (they claimed it went out due to heat), but offered to rebuild it for $650.
Over all I don't think they build a bad transmission for the price, but not really worth while for an EB. In most areas there are good tranny builders who can build an equal or superior tranny w/ all the updates and hd parts w/o the shipping costs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bronco Fix Forum Index :: Drivetrain and Suspension All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: